What’s The Ideal Frequency for Asphalt Sealcoating in Savannah?
Your commercial property’s asphalt parking lot, steps, and pathways pose a liability risk when cracked, uneven, or riddled with potholes. Unfortunately, Savannah’s subtropical climate contributes to asphalt’s degradation, making pavement maintenance an essential element of your property maintenance plan. Proper protection from the elements is one of the most critical factors in asphalt maintenance.
Asphalt sealcoating protects against the Lowcountry’s sun, heat, humidity, and moisture. However, the timing for your sealcoating application is vital to optimizing this critical preventative maintenance treatment. Here we look at the ideal frequency of sealcoating for commercial properties in Savannah to protect and extend your pavement’s life.
What is Asphalt Sealcoating?
Asphalt sealcoating is a treatment that prevents water from infiltrating fissures and potholes in your pavement. The coating is designed to withstand extreme heat and precipitation in Savannah, penetrating tiny holes and cracks and providing a protective seal. Without sealcoating, water damage leads to larger cracks and potholes.
How is Sealcoating Applied?
Asphalt sealcoating is sprayed onto asphalt surfaces, providing a coating that seals the asphalt and protects it from water damage. However, it must be applied to a clean, smooth surface to maximize durability. Therefore, it’s recommended to have cracks repaired before sealcoating treatments are done.
Why is Asphalt Sealcoating Required in Savannah?
Asphalt sealcoating is an affordable and effective long-term pavement preservation technique that can improve longevity and attractiveness. Sealcoating helps avoid cracks and potholes that ruin the integrity and appearance of your asphalt. Asphalt sealcoating also enhances traction, making driving more comfortable while protecting against vehicle chemical leaks. Your asphalt is safer and looks new, improving your commercial property’s appearance and curb appeal.
How Often Should Sealcoating Be Applied in Savannah?
Once new asphalt is fully cured and ready, the sealcoating can be applied! You can then typically apply your asphalt sealcoating every two to three years. However, if your pavement is exposed to heavier traffic or has full sun exposure, it is best to stick to a two-year schedule.
Why is Asphalt Sealcoating Frequency Important?
Applying asphalt sealcoating regularly ensures your asphalt maintains its structural integrity and protective qualities. However, using sealcoating too often or too soon between coatings can damage the sealcoating, causing peeling that removes the protective properties. Therefore, finding the right timing for your paved surfaces is essential to optimize performance.
What are Signs that Paved Surfaces Need Sealcoating?
If you just purchased or are taking over management of a commercial property, you might not have access to past sealcoating records. In this case, it’s essential to recognize the signs that your paved surfaces need sealcoating and repairs, including:
- Alligator and general cracking: If you see crack formations resembling alligator skin, this texture indicates you need repairs and a sealcoat to help prevent water damage beneath the surface. Also, any cracks that are very noticeable indicate its time for repairs and sealcoating.
- Buckling: Poorly maintained asphalt will weaken over time, causing structural damage that leads to buckling and warping of your paved surfaces. As foot and vehicular traffic travel across the surface, depressions form due to the weakened state of the asphalt.
- Potholes: This is an obvious sign that goes beyond the need for sealcoating. Repairs are a must to avoid complete deterioration of your paved surface.
- Puddling and standing water: Large puddles and standing water are unpleasant for visitors and indicate that your parking lot surface is uneven. Pooling water erodes asphalt, requiring immediate attention to avoid cracks and destabilization.
- Appearance: Discolouration, staining, fading, cracks, weeds, etc., indicate your pavement needs TLC. Cracks must be sealed, and sealcoating must be applied to restore the look and integrity of your parking lot and pathways.
Your asphalt surfaces require an effective preventative maintenance plan, including sealcoating. The experts at EverLine Coatings are happy to provide a quote for all your asphalt maintenance and repair needs in Savannah. Contact us today!