How Asphalt Sealcoating Preserves Your Cleveland Pavement
Your commercial property offers the convenience of parking for tenants and visitors. However, if cracks and potholes damage your parking lot, it creates a less than welcoming, safe environment. Asphalt is vulnerable to the changing weather in Cleveland, calling for ongoing protection of your parking lot’s surface. Here we explain how you can preserve your pavement with asphalt sealcoating services in Cleveland.
What is Asphalt Sealcoating?
Asphalt sealcoating creates a uniform, protective membrane for your parking lot surface and other paved areas on your property. Regular sealcoating protects you against damage from oxidation, chemical spills, and the harsh Cleveland elements.
What Does Asphalt Sealcoating Protect Against?
Asphalt sealcoating protects against the following ongoing threats:
- UV rays: UV radiation causes shrinkage of asphalt binder surfaces increasing the risk of cracking.
- Rain: Heavy rainfall causes puddling and larger pools of standing water allowing the water to infiltrate tiny pavement cracks that grow over time.
- Snow and ice: Snow and ice create potholes as water trapped below the asphalt freezes and expands, causing the surface to crack, crumble, and break apart.
- Leaks: Cracks in the asphalt surface allow water to penetrate the surface below, allowing for buckling during the freeze-thaw cycle, cracking, and deteriorating asphalt.
- Contaminants: Vehicles leak chemicals such as transmission fluid, deicers, gas, oil, etc., breaking down asphalt while also causing stains that ruin the appearance of your parking lot.
How Does Asphalt Sealcoating Protect Parking Lots?
Sealcoating creates a protective “shield” between asphalt surfaces by restoring the binder used in asphalt to help prolong life. As a result, it helps delay asphalt deterioration using compatible formulas that enhance the protectants used in asphalt.
Asphalt Sealcoating Cost Savings
Because sealcoating seals the surface of existing asphalt, it helps prolong the life of your parking lot. As a result, you save money for expensive repairs or complete repaving down the road. Regular sealcoating can increase the durability of the existing asphalt, allowing you to enjoy a smooth, attractive, safe surface.
How Do Potholes Form?
Potholes form when water trapped below the surface causes the pavement to expand and contract during the freeze-thaw cycle. As you know, Cleveland experiences volatile temperature fluctuations, and when water freezes, it expands below the pavement causing bends and cracks if the pavement has weakened over time. As the temperatures warm, the pavement contracts, leaving cracks that allow more water to become trapped.
This creates a vicious circle in the freeze-and-thaw cycle, further weakening the pavement. The cracks become so severe that the parking lot is too weak to support the weight of cars and trucks. As a result, the weakened areas break away in pieces, creating potholes.
What are the Benefits of Asphalt Sealcoating?
Asphalt sealcoating for your commercial property offers many benefits, including:
- Reduced long-term repair costs: Sealcoating your parking lot every few years offers significant cost savings in the long term. By protecting your asphalt against wear and tear that can quickly lead to costly damage, you avoid the need to replace your asphalt. In hand with ongoing repairs of cracks, you maintain the integrity of your pavement, creating an excellent return on investment through preventative maintenance.
- Prevent dangerous potholes: As mentioned, the freeze-thaw cycle in Cleveland creates potholes when asphalt is weak. With ongoing sealcoating, you restore the asphalt’s ability to maintain its flexibility, reducing the risk of dangerous potholes.
- Improved parking lot safety: A well-maintained parking lot helps keep your parking lot safe. With sealcoating applications, you reduce the risk of trips, falls, and vehicle damage caused by deep potholes on the roadway.
- Curb appeal: Sealcoating creates an attractive, even color so your parking lot always appears well-maintained. As a result, you enjoy better curb appeal, attracting customers/tenants and maintaining the value of your commercial property.
- Longer life: With protection against the harmful effects of the hot Cleveland sun and harsh winters, you can prolong the life of your parking lot’s asphalt.
- Protect against contaminants: Vehicles can leak pollutants that damage the surface of your asphalt while also creating unsightly stains. Your sealcoating creates a barrier that repels substances like gas, oil, windshield wiper fluid, transmission fluid, etc., for longer life.
Applying regular professional asphalt sealcoating creates a protective membrane that increases the life of your parking lot, maintains curb appeal and property value, and keeps your parking lot safe. Just take a look at how we helped this Cleveland area church restore their parking lot.