The Importance Of Regular Professional Indy Parking Lot Restriping
As a property manager or business owner, it is essential to maintain your commercial parking lot. This includes regular parking lot line restriping to keep lines visible, improve traffic flow, and comply with ADA regulations. Here we provide general guidelines for restriping frequency, professional assessment benefits, and advice to keep your Indy parking lot safe.
What Causes Parking Lot Line Deterioration?
Several factors contribute to parking lot line deterioration, including:
- Traffic: Traffic in your parking lot causes coatings to fade due to basic wear and tear. Tires cause friction that slowly eats away at the parking lot lines, especially in the winter when snow tires and salt, sand, or chemicals are needed to improve traction.
- The elements: Sun, cold, heat, snow, and rain all take their toll on your parking lot lines, fading line definition and cracking paint surfaces.
- Snow removal and ice melt chemicals: Snow plowing is a fact of life in Indy. Plows remove the protective surface of traffic paint. Along with the corrosive action of ice melt chemicals, winter is one of the most damaging seasons for your Indy parking lot stripes.
- Poor quality asphalt and traffic paint: Poor quality asphalt provides a less-than-perfect surface, making it easier for traffic paint to break apart. Cracks, moisture, dirt, and other debris become more damaging when a parking lot surface is not properly paved. However, poor-quality traffic paint is even worse, lasting only a year or so in high-traffic parking lots.
Guidelines for Restriping Frequency
Several factors impact the recommended frequency of parking lot line restriping, including:
- Parking lot age
- Pavement materials
- Traffic paint quality
- The amount of traffic
- Parking lot condition
A parking lot restriping company like EverLine Coatings can assess your parking lot to determine when restriping is required based on a visual inspection of your pavement. We can also recommend a restriping schedule based on specific factors that impact longevity—however, quality counts. While the average parking restriping service recommends restriping every 18 to 24 months, our team can restripe less frequently due to the quality of some of the traffic markings we carry.
Compliance with Regulations and Standards
Specialty markings required for accessible parking, crosswalks, electric chargers, speed bumps, etc., help keep your parking lot safe and improve traffic flow. However, you are also legally responsible for adhering to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards to provide accessible parking spaces. Failure to comply can lead to penalties and fines in excess of $10,000 and, in some cases, criminal charges for ongoing non-compliance.
Parking lot line restriping ensures you define accessible parking within the required minimum of 96 inches and also make identification of parking spaces easier with the international symbol of accessibility painted in the parking space. You can also define access areas and boundaries with yellow diagonal striping to discourage parking. Diagonal striping also defines no parking zones, emergency vehicle zones, and areas that prohibit vehicular traffic.
Professional Assessment and Expert Advice
Professional assessments ensure your parking lot space is maximized, your pavement surface is smooth and prepped to accept the coatings, and that you are compliant with ADA standards. Working with a professional parking lot line restriping company in Indy ensures you receive the most durable parking stripe application for longevity, visibility, and durability.
For example, at EverLine Coatings, we carry the exclusive license for TBL Durables traffic coatings in North America. If you’re in Indianapolis, we are the only service to apply this industry-leading traffic marking. It is three to four times more durable than other traffic paint products providing added longevity that can save you 20-30% on line striping in your first three years of use. Standard oil-based traffic paint lasts about a year in high-traffic parking lots, while TBL Durables lasts an average of three years!
Advantages of Regular Parking Lot Line Restriping with TBL Durables
Using TBL Durables for your parking lot line restriping offers several advantages, including:
- Lasts 2-4 times longer for less frequent upkeep
- Lowers maintenance costs
- Creates rich colors for more appeal
- Cures in 5-10 minutes to avoid disruptions
- 3 times cleaner than water-based paint
- 10 times cleaner than oil-based paint
- Glass beads create reflective, slip-resistant marks for safe walking and driving in wet and slick weather
- 20-30% in cost savings over the lifetime of your lines