How Long Will My Saskatoon Asphalt Parking Lot Last?
Asphalt is a strong and relatively hardy material that can last for many years. It may not be as long-lasting as Roman roads, many of which have survived for over 2,000 years, but with proper pavement maintenance, an asphalt parking lot can last for 25-35 years before needing to be replaced.
What can affect the life of your asphalt parking lot in Saskatoon? Just about everything, really. For example, oxygen, UV radiation, excessive heat, cold, precipitation, heavy use, and the passage of time all play a part in how long your asphalt will last. However, you are not completely at the mercy of these elements: EverLine Coatings and Services can help extend the life of your asphalt parking lot. Just as you need regular preventative maintenance for your vehicle, you also need preventative maintenance for your asphalt.
Two of the main culprits affecting your Saskatoon parking lot are weather and time.
We’ll start with the most obvious weather-related element that we deal with in Saskatoon – cold temperatures. Actually, frigid temperatures. In January and February, temperatures can drop to -30°C (-22°F) and below. This kind of severe cold can cause asphalt to contract, or to contract and then to expand as it thaws (frost heaving); this leads to cracks.
We don’t have to contend with humidity much here, but we definitely have more than our fair share of precipitation; 72.4 days (on average) when it snows each year and an average of 87.4 days of rain each year. If you have any kind of damage in your asphalt – even tiny cracks – water or melting snow can enter them and cause damage. Small cracks become large cracks and small holes become unsightly potholes.
As asphalt ages, it becomes faded and brittle. This has to do with physical changes (a process called oxidation) as the materials that make up the asphalt break down.
Since you can’t control the weather or the passage of time, what can you do to prolong the life span of your asphalt? You can rely on the expertise of EverLine Coatings Saskatoon and our Full-Service Preventative Care Program to help you maintain it.
- 0-5 years: Keep the parking lot free of debris and weeds, and make sure that there is no standing water. EverLine Coating offers parking lot sweeping services as part of your pavement repair and maintenance. Begin sealcoating so that water and oil can’t enter and affect the integrity of the surface. This will also slow the oxidation process.
- 5-7 years: Your asphalt parking lot will definitely benefit from regular sealcoating and crack sealing during this time. The worst thing you can do is to ignore small cracks or holes and allow them to increase in scope.
- 7-15 years: More of the same. Continue to clear vegetation and debris from the parking lot, and continue the seal coating and crack sealing. Vigilance is key, so don’t allow any problems to go unheeded.
- 15-25 years: After this many years of use, you may be noticing areas that need more than simply sealcoating and crack sealing. Some parts of the parking lot may need patching, but if the lot has had preventative maintenance so far, it should be able to last.
- 25-35 years: These are your bonus years. Congratulations on extending the life of your asphalt parking lot. However, we’ll make the car analogy again. There comes a time when the cost of constant repairs on your old vehicle means it’s time to buy a new car, and there comes a time when the cost of patching and repairing your old asphalt parking lot is almost more expensive than buying a replacement. Yes, its lifespan is concluded; it’s time to repave and start fresh!
How long can your Saskatoon parking lot last? Up to 35 years! Remember, preventative pavement maintenance is key – even the Romans maintained their roads (and they didn’t have to deal with our Saskatoon winters!) Please reach out to EverLine Coatings and Services Saskatoon for your pavement needs. Contact us for asphalt crack sealing and filling in Saskatoon today.
Request a Quote
Surrounding Communities Serviced
- Prince Albert
- North Battleford