Asphalt is a durable, cost-effective, and long-lasting pavement material. However, as asphalt ages, it becomes prone to damage and deterioration, which is why it’s crucial to develop a reliable pavement management plan to keep your asphalt smooth, attractive, and crack-free.
Infrared asphalt repair is the superior method for repairing uneven driving surfaces, potholes, cracks, and other imperfections in your asphalt. Keep reading to learn more about this practical service and what makes it the ideal solution for asphalt maintenance.
What Is Infrared Asphalt Repair?
Infrared asphalt repair uses infrared technology to heat your existing asphalt, so it becomes soft, pliable, and can blend seamlessly with the new asphalt. It’s ideal for smoothing over uneven surfaces and filling in small cracks or holes that aren’t caused by structural issues.
Traditionally, asphalt repair includes the following steps:
- Chiseling or sawing potholes, so they are even and straight.
- Covering cracks and fissures in the asphalt with gravel or sand.
- Cutting down uneven “high spots” so they can be leveled and refilled.
Infrared asphalt repair removes all these steps by blending the old and new asphalt together to create a smooth, cohesive surface. It also eliminates joints or seams between the existing pavement and new asphalt, eliminating the potential for future water damage.
How Does the Infrared Asphalt Repair Process Work?
During the infrared asphalt repair process, you can expect your pavement maintenance expert to complete the following steps:
- Your pavement will be dried out and swept free of debris.
- The infrared heater will be placed above the damaged area and heated to 163°C for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the climate, material, and extent of the damage.
- After heating, the affected area is raked to remove the loose, soft pieces of asphalt.
- The repair team will apply a rejuvenator to replenish the oils in the asphalt that have been lost to age and oxidation.
- The new asphalt will be blended with the old, loose pieces of pavement and raked and graded to the correct level.
- Once the asphalt is mixed, it will be compacted by a vibratory plate or roller. Then, your asphalt parking lot will look as good as new!
Extra Benefits of Infrared Asphalt Repair
Infrared asphalt repair isn’t only the most effective type of pavement repair service—it also offers property owners these valuable advantages:
- Saves money. Infrared asphalt repair requires minimal manpower, fewer pieces of equipment, and less asphalt, so you’ll save cash on labor and materials.
- Reuses materials. Since infrared asphalt technology blends your old and new pavement together, you’re utilizing existing materials you’ve already invested in that are still in usable condition.
- Reduces time. Infrared asphalt repair eliminates the cutting, sawing, jackhammering, sanding, disposal, and other tedious steps to streamline the pavement repair process.
- Lasts longer. Unlike other methods of asphalt repair that leave small seams and joints that provide the possibility of water penetration, infrared asphalt repair seamlessly blends the new and existing asphalt to create a solid surface.
When Can Infrared Asphalt Repair Services Be Performed?
Infrared asphalt repair services can be performed at all times of the year—which is excellent news if your property is located in a climate with extreme temperatures. Infrared asphalt technology heats your existing pavement, so it can be used when it’s hot, cold, humid, or snowy, unlike other asphalt repair methods.
If you notice dangerous potholes or bumpy surfaces in your parking lot when the weather is less than ideal, you don’t have to worry about the liability of your deteriorating lot month after month while waiting for the weather to clear up.
However, there are a few exceptions to when infrared asphalt repair can be used effectively. This service cannot be completed if your asphalt has severe structural issues or if there is another material, such as coal-based tar, covering your blacktop. This allows them to fully replace asphalt if needed, so thin layers are no problem for our infrared system. We don’t HAVE to recycle the materials, but it is a benefit when we can.
Keep Your Parking Lot Looking Great All Year with Pavement Maintenance
EverLine Coatings offers a Preventative Pavement Maintenance Program to double the lifespan of your pavement while boosting its visual appeal and safety.
We provide a full-service approach that includes infrared asphalt repair, seal coating, line painting, cleaning, crack filling, and more to ensure your pavement is thoroughly cared for with top-notch products and superb craftsmanship.
Restore Your Property’s Damaged Asphalt with EverLine Coatings’ Asphalt Repair Services
We understand your asphalt is a significant investment. EverLine Coatings and Services is committed to helping property owners across Canada extend their asphalt’s lifespan with long-term solutions—so you can experience the greatest return on investment from your pavement.
We use quick, effective, and budget-friendly infrared asphalt repair to make your parking lot safe, and we can apply asphalt-based waterproofing sealant sprays to protect your pavement with a smooth, eye-catching surface.
Learn more about our asphalt repair services to enjoy filled potholes, smooth surfaces, and hazard-free parking lots on your property.